Ladies often suffer from lower abdominal pains both left and right ones which, naturally, should be an alarming sign, as in most cases these pains are caused by female constitution and may be harmful for the reproductive system.
However, as nothing human is alien to females, ladiessuffer also from general human diseases affecting abdominal organs of the digestive and urinary tracts like kidney stones, Pyelonephritis, bowel cancer, Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis and others. It’s never superfluous to highlight again: whenever you start experiencing signs of lower abdominal pain, especially when its causes are unknown, it’s high time you consulted a healthcare professional. Although we hear this truth every now and then, it’s probably in the human nature to delay a visit to a doctor. Well, maybe, there’s a grain of reason in this procrastination – we need to make sure our worries aren’t groundless and understand the origin of this pain. To understand the source of painful sensations we need to have a better insight into human anatomy. So, what can cause pain in lower left abdomen female?
- Left ovary and tube disorders
- Left kidney diseases
- Conditions affecting left ureter
- Abnormal processes in the left part of the descending large bowel
- Sigmoid colon disorders
- Infection or inflammation of the urinary bladder
- Diseases affecting large blood vessels and nerves of the lower left abdomen
- Conditions affecting muscles and skin covering the left side of the abdomen
Probable Conditions Causing Pain in the Lower Left Abdomen in Females
- Left ovarian cyst. They are common in women of reproductive age. When these fluid-filled sacs are formed in an ovary, a woman experiences pain in the area below the naval. The pain caused by the left ovarian cyst can be acute or chronic left flank pain spreading to the thighs. Some additional symptoms accompanying left ovarian cyst are irregularities of menses, pain during intercourse, pain associated with bowel movements, nausea and vomiting. However, ovarian cysts may be harmless and patients can experience no painful signs at all. Ultrasound scan helps to diagnose ovarian cysts and decide whether the treatment is needed.
- Left ovarian tumors and cancer. These tumors form as uncontrolled growth of epithelial cells of the ovaries. The main threat from these tumors is that they may turn out to be cancerous. Cancerous tissue growth in the area of the lower left abdomen and basically causes such symptoms as pain in the pelvic area, abdominal pressure, loss of appetite, indigestion, constipation and weight loss. Early diagnosis and timely treatment of ovarian tumors and ovarian cancer are crucial in preventing one of the most common reasons leading to death in women worldwide.
- Pelvic Inflammation. It happens when uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes are affected by bacterial infections, basically due to sexually transmitted diseases. Pelvic inflammatory deceases cause mild to sharp pain in lower left abdomen, abnormal vaginal discharge, bleeding in between menses, pain during intercourse, possible fever.
- Endometriosis. It’s a very common condition in females accompanied by pain in the low abdomen and is caused by growth of endometrium cells which form uterine inner lining tissue outside the uterine. This pain is usually aggravated during menstruation.
- Ectopic Pregnancy. It causes lower left abdominal pain or pain lower right abdomen depending on where the ectopic pregnancy is located and is developed when a fertilized ovum is embedded outside the uterus, commonly in the left or right fallopian tubes. Pain can vary from dull to sharp, may be accompanied by vaginal bleeding, dizziness and general weakness. Ectopic pregnancy is an emergency condition that can lead to consequences that may threaten life.
- Fibroid or womb stones. Women with irregular excessive menstruation may develop hard slowly-growing formations on the uterine lining. The pain typical for fibroid starts as slight cramping but, being neglected, can grow into really troublesome. Womb stones can be removed in a surgical way.
- Some comparatively harmless causes of lower abdominal pains in women are menstrual cramps or dysmenorrhea, pain occurred around the time of ovulation, constipation and banal food poisoning.
These are a few common conditions causing lower abdominal pain in women. Human organism is a well-organized complicated system that is far behind any super modern upgraded computer. That’s why it’s so difficult and even impossible to determine your diagnosis without special tests. However, some studies on anatomy and main symptoms of common conditions will never burden you with useless knowledge.
You Found This Page: